Saturday, July 28, 2012

Jing Yi walks tall

JULY 28: Shuttler Tee Jing Yi may have lost but the plucky 21-year-old found plenty of plus points after succumbing 21-16, 15-21, 21-12 to South Korea's Bae Yeon-Ju at the Wembley Arena on Saturday.

Jing Yi surprised the 11th seeded Korean in the first game and went toe-to-toe with her for the first half of the second before Yeon-Ju surged ahead to 15-10 and never looked back after that.

"This was only the second time that I was meeting her and I think she was surprised by my aggressive approach in the first game. However, she controlled play in the second and I couldn't change the flow," said Jing Yi.

Still, she was satisfied with her performance as her first meeting with the Korean had ended with Jing Yi not even able to score 21 points over two games.

"I have narrowed the gap and that, for me, is a plus point. I still have one more match to play (against Italian Agnese Allegrini on Monday) which I want to win. Hopefully, the Italian can shock the Korean when they meet to open up a chance for me to enter the next round."

Coach Rashid Sidek had high praise for Jing Yi.

"She may have lost but Jing Yi has shown vast improvement and I believe she has a bright future," said Rashid, a men's singles bronze medalist in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment