Saturday, July 28, 2012

Suryani's Olympic dream over

JULY 28: She needed to match her personal best score to have any hope of making the London Olympics 10m Air Rifle final but Nur Suryani Taibi could only manage 392 as her dreams were crushed at the Royal Artillery Barracks on Saturday.

Already assured of star status thanks to her advanced stage of pregnancy, Nur Suryani was also hoping to make an impact with her shooting skills but it was not to be.


Nur Suryani finished 34th in the 10m Air Rifle

"When I competed this morning, I didn't feel anything special. In fact, I felt like I normally do during competitions. I tried my best but it was not to be but the experience will stand me in good stead for the future," said the 29-year-old.

There was some discomfort while shooting but Nur Suryani said it didn't bother her.

"The baby was moving but that didn't affect my concentration nor my ability to shoot. It is just that on the day, I needed to produce my personal best score to have a chance, which I didn't," said Nur Suryani.

With the baby due within the next month, Suryani plans to take an extended break before resuming her career in 2013 but for the London Games, as seen by the hordes of print and broadcast media interviewing her, she is assured of being one of the enduring images of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment